20 May 2009

Wiki me

I confess that Wikipedia has been a great saviour in times of urgency - it is a great resource when you need info in a hurry, and aren't too worried about the authoritiveness of said info. Which is perhaps a little unfair... (for fun try a Google search for Wikipedia and Britannica to check out the great accuracy battle). This article in the New York Times is also worth reading; Wikipedia: Exploring Fact City by Noam Cohen, published 28 March 2009 http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/weekinreview/29cohen.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all


Wikipedia has the benefit of the linked resources, many of which can be considered 'authoritative' if you are picky about where your info comes from. This has also been great for creating links to our own collection material from Wikipedia articles - can't get more authoritative than a library :)


So as far as the L2TD activity goes: I checked out Book Lovers Wiki at the Princeton Public Library - which I enjoyed; Library Success: A best practices wiki - which I was less impressed with than I expected to be, though it is a great collection of good links (authoritative resources!); and Wookieepedia - as I didn't know what it was, but had what turned out to be justified suspicions.


The Library Success wiki, though not what I had expected, did give me the idea for a practical and implementable work use. Our unit does not have a fully-fledged, proper written and authorised procedure/guideline manual. We all know what we do, but the documentation of such is a little hit and miss (but not completely non-existant). An internal wiki with strict author control could prove to be a very useful thing - and may get past some of the most-recent-version obstacles as well. Also great for when procedures affect more than just our unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment